Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Is This Thing On?

With Operation G.O.N.A.D.S. in full swing, last night I attended my friend Katy's Movieoke Night at the Whistler with my friend Jason.


Katy has been running Movieoke there for several months, as a fundraiser for her Vintage Theater Collective, and it is a kick in the pants. For those of you living in Chicago, you should check it out next time (Here's the Facebook page for it.)

In the past I've done scenes from Airplane ("I like my coffee black, like my men"), Good Will Hunting ("How ya like them apples?"), and the sweet American Psycho "Huey Lewis" monologue.

To say I brought the house down with any of my renditions would be, well, a slight exaggeration.

Anyway, last night I did the answering machine scene from Swingers (see it here). Before it started, I told the crowd I was dedicating my scene to my friend Jason, "who will always be the Vince Vaughn to my Jon Favreau." 

Dead silence. 

"Really? That's all I get?"

Dead silence.

[Me tapping the microphone.] Umm, is this thing on?

Screw you, self-important Whistler hipsters.

5 comments:

mysterygirl! said...

Just so you know, one of my friends and I have been doing a DC version of Operation G.O.N.A.D.S., and it's been a pretty great summer, even though we're exhausted all the time. Seriously, I took a surprise nap at 6 p.m. yesterday. So, thanks for the idea-- it was the acronym that sold us.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

MysteryG! - I arrive at the end of August. WIll you take me with you for a DC GONADS adventure?

House of Jules said...

Movieoke! That idea is so money! The "Never call me again" answering machine scene in Swingers is only second to the "It's like I'm supposed to be happy because she's wearing a backpack" scene. You're always THE BIG WINNER to me, Cherry. ;)

Kritkrat said...

What the hell? How can you not get that reference?

Michael5000 said...

Ouch...