Friday, February 16, 2007

Turn It Up Fridays

I'm going to make Fridays all about music. I started my work day with a voicemail from my manager saying she's out sick today. Additionally three other VPs are out of the office today and I'm pretty sure that means an automatic slack day for me. So crank it, beeatches.

Album cover of the day: Joyce Drake (that's her above; her album includes the gem "I Get All Excited")

Songs you should be listening to today: "Good Stuff" by Schuyler Fisk, "Learning to Breathe" by Nerina Pallot, and a little Shins action - "Turn on Me."

On the way into work, "Sax and Violins" from the Talking Heads came up on shuffle, which got me thinking about what great lyricists they (particularly David Byrne) were, which has inspired the first of my new weekly song title list. This week's is: "10 Talking Heads song titles that could describe how I feel about my life" (in no particular order):

  1. Lifetime Piling Up
  2. Take Me to the River
  3. Blind
  4. Overload
  5. Crosseyed & Painless
  6. Swamp
  7. I Wish You Wouldn't Say That
  8. Psycho Killer
  9. Road to Nowhere
  10. Seen and Not Seen (but mostly the "Not Seen" part)

10 comments:

5 of 9er said...

How about that one song "My car got jacked in D.C." :)

ReckenRoll said...

I love that CherryRide profile photo! Good times.

Um, the word verification below is "Wigrs" that seems wrong to me.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Good times indeed, Wingman. That was a great night. Didn't you take that photo?

Alannah said...

David Byrne is a national treasure. I love his channel on iTunes radio.

LORMO said...

I once banged Joyce.

I don't recommend it.

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

I like the music you selected for today, but why no sample music from Joyce Drake?

Honestly, Joyce looks dorky even for the early 80's. Poor thing! Wonder what she looks like now?

ReckenRoll said...

I think I did. I think it's also the night I tried to arm wrestle you too but my girl arms (both of them) were pale competition for the Cherry Ride's guns.

Why the hell were we arm wrestling?

Ah, beer.

Mood Indigo said...

oh my gosh why are you my musical soul mate!?! Schuyler Fisk?!?! musical. soul. mate.

Loaf said...

Nerina Pallot and The Shins are both great, but never heard of Schuyler Fisk, and couldn't find him on iTunes :(

Yay for slack Fridays though!!

Mood Indigo said...

Schuyler Fisk is Sissy Spacek's daughter - she performs a lot with Joshua Radin - both definitely worth looking up :)