Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Good, Swift Kick in the NASA

I know there are "legitimate" arguments for why we continue to pour money into our NASA/space program, but for my whole life I've had none of it. Like Prince sang in Sign O' The Times: "Sister killed her baby cuz she could afford 2 feed it and were sending people 2 the moon..."

NASA's 2007 budget is 16.8 billion dollars. Think about that, people. And what do we have to show for it? Diddley squat, I say.

Now more than ever, I think it's time to put a halt to the Space Program, especially in light of this news announcement today about some crazy-ass Space Shuttle astronaut, Lisa Nowak, arrested for attempted kidnapping and battery towards a woman Nowak was jealous of because she competed against her for the affections of another astronaut. Huh? WTF??

[Yikes. Now there's a face for radio...]

You can read the semi-entertaining story for yourself, but I have to point out that Nowak is so crazy she wore diapers so that she wouldn't have to stop along the drive from Houston to Orlando (where the other woman was returning from a flight).

Dammn Nowak - you are one crazy beeatch! One crazy beeatch, I might add, whose salary is paid by the good taxpayers of America. I hope for your sake you bought the generic adult diapers and not the top-shelf Depends. Show a little fiscal responsibility when spending my money, lady.


Let this be the proverbial camel back-breaking straw for the NASA program. It's time to put some of that money towards things that really matter -- like education, health care and the environment -- and not towards funding psychos and the silly space programs they work for.

7 comments:

LORMO said...

I think the diapers were a brilliant idea!

I'm gonna use that at home, just so I don't have to get up from the couch while I'm watching tv.

K.I.D. said...

Diapers = efficiency.

Just sayin'

Airam said...

She really thought through her nutty expedition.

What could have gone through her head? I like to think of it as LOTR where Gollum had that conversation with himself.

"I must get to him before she does!

"But it's such a long drive! And I had all that coffee to stay up and come up with my plan of attack."

"Silence! There will be no stops along the way!"

"But I'll need to pee! I have a small bladder!"

"I said NO STOPS!"

"Fine ... I'll just put on some diapers .. you happy! I've resorted to becoming a semi-infant to make you happy!"

"Just drive."

Airam said...

Yeah I went on a bit of a tangent there ... sorry bout that.

classyandfancy said...

More monkeys in space, less humans. At least it would be entertaining, especially if they were taught to moonwalk.

Loaf said...

Might be worthwhile if NASA can build something big enough to round up all these crazies and launch them off into space, never to return. Then again, a large pit would probably be cheaper.

Moonwalking space monkeys? Thank you Classy for that surreal image to start my day!

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

Yeah,the 16 billion is obsene when you think that the NIH only gets about twice that (30 billion). Human health and disease is only twice as important as space travel.

But the best is core defense spending for the 2008 budget is, wait for it, 481 billion. Sixteen times what the NIH gets.

Fuck me.