Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Like They Always Say: It Isn't a Vacation in Mexico...

... until someone is rushed to the hospital to have her appendix removed.

[Sign in the waiting room of the Amat Hospital in downtown Cancun.]

So as I hinted before, the Cancun vacation was a lot of fun. It would be hard not to (condo on the beach, awesome weather, great friends gathered together for a reunion). But I, as well as my friends, learned a valuable lesson this time, which is: We're Getting Old.

It's true. The last time this same group of us got together for a Cancun adventure four years ago (thanks to Grandma and her time share), there were Daiquiris and Miami Vices, hours spent at the swim-up bar, drunken handstands in the pool, illicit partying with Canadian community college Spring Breakers, you name it.

This time there was a lot of sickness going around, tired parents and pregnant woman heading to bed by 10pm, one of us having to leave a day early for a work emergency, and the above mentioned emergency appendix removal at a local hospital.

These things tend to put a damper on the festivities.


Still, we did manage to have more than our share of good times: upping the already high alcohol content of our drinks on the beach with our own bottle of vodka (see photo on the left), Original Trannie Hookers and 1-800 Mexi-cock, the unfulfilled promise of La Tequila Pistola, crazy taxicab drivers, jamon rolls & hot peppers (muy delicioso!), me getting busted by cleaning staff for using the women's bathroom, and the usual watching (judging) of fat Midwesterners on the beach from our 5th floor balcony.

I just hope that when we do this again, we can all manage to stay out of the hospital (unless it's for an alcohol-related injury). Or awake past eleven (unless passed out from drinking all day). Because that would be, like, definitely more acceptable.

14 comments:

House of Jules said...

Sadness that everyone is getting older, but at least you were enjoying some SUNSHINE, which is more than we can say for the Chi. Also, I really hope your friend didn't go in for the appendix removal and get a new anus instead. I hear that problem is going around. Welcome back!
Jules
House of Jules

Frank said...

I try not to drink anything unless it's got some vodka in it. That includes coffee, soft drinks, Nyquil, etc. Somehow classes and work just seem to breeze by when I'm not entirely coherent.

Ben said...

Based entirely on stereotypes (as most good judgments are), I am awfully afraid of Mexican hospitals.

Girl Friday said...

I had no idea when I opened this post that I would see the real CR in his swimming costume. Shocker! The grown up drama just replaces the youthful drama of so and so sleeping with someone elses BF (especially when so and so is a man and the BF had a GF)or whats her face gone missing for 48 hours on a bender. Grown up drama will give way to old people drama and before we know it, we'll all be on one of those bus holidays where only half the people make it out alive and the other half died of old age along the way.
Wow, for being all loved up, I am a bit of a downer aren't I?

Mr. Shain said...

did you happen to read the times article a few days ago about the first vaginal appendix removal? using natural orifices for surgery is this big new trend. instead of making three small incisions in the abdomen for the laparoscopic removal of the appendix, they make a small incision on the inner wall of the patient's snatch and feed the instruments and camera up into the abdomen from there. outcomes include shorter recovery time, no visible scaring, and the ability to 'give birth' to your own appendix! but i'm guessing you opted for a more standard procedure in mexico? sadcakes

JulieGong said...

I had my appendix out in 6th grade. It was not fun. Just thought you should know that...

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Jules:: My friend is doing just fine, and her anus is in tact (well, as far as I know). And good point about the sunshine.

Frank:: I think I'll have to try that more. Going to work and class sober has been a real bummer.

GF:: That isn't me sitting in the photo. I'm the hand pouring the alcohol (of course). But wow on all that other childhood drama you've had!

Mr. Shain:: I can't believe you wrote "snatch." But I won't criticize - for once you didn't make a feeble attempt to insult me.

Julie:: That would make you only the second person I "know" who has had their appendix removed.

I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

A few things:
1) I pity pregnant people in Mexico. It's just not the same without the liquor.

2)I would quit my job before I left my vacay. Seriously, I hope I don't work for the same company as your co-traveler but I have a sinking feeling I do.

3) So, I'm starting to see a pattern with you and woman's bathrooms. Interesting.

classyandfancy said...

Nice pouring technique. I hope you have it perfected by the time Lolla rolls around.

Spammon said...

I'm trying to decide if it's more of a risk to have your appendix burst, or have it removed in a third world country. Maybe they washed their hands at the tourist hospital, I dunno. But just in case, did you at least dowse their hands and the open wound with some tequila?

Mighty Dyckerson said...

In four more years, you'll probably be puttering around the beach in your Hoveround. Watch out for the soft sand - you don't want to get stuck.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Carrie:: Seriously, the bathroom thing was never an issue before you came along.

Classy:: I got us covered.

Spammon:: That would have been a good idea, I suppose.

Dyck:: I'd get stuck with or without the Hoveround.

Girl Friday said...

I know it's not you Cherry, it's the man who has the real initials of CR...that's how I roll.

5 of 9er said...

It's always fun and games until someone gets their appendix taken out... whooops!