Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Take Me Out


Forget the Golden Globes, last night we had our own little celebrity sighting adventure at the Sydney Opera House. Greg, Richard and I went to see the Tiger Lillies and afterwards met Eleanor Friedberger of the Fiery Furnaces and Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand . What do you say when you meet (semi) famous people? That's a question for the ages.

Me (to Eleanor): "So you're from Oak Park? I'm from Chicago."
Eleanor: "Where abouts?"
Me: "The south side - 103rd and California in Beverly."
Eleanor: "Great."
(awkward silence)
Me: "So did you go to Oak Park-River Forest High?"
Eleanor: "Yes."
Me: "Cool. I had cousins that went there."
Eleanor: "Great."
Me: "........" (awkward silence)

The show itself was rather strange and dull. But Greg and I did get a kick out of watching this blonde girl who kept getting out of her seat to dance by herself in the corner, even to the "Masturbating Jimmy" song, which I felt was clearly inappropriate. She was on something, surely. I kept asking, "Is she supposed to be part of the act?"


Extra bonus is that I was able to sneak a snapshot of Kath from the Kath and Kim Show who was sitting at the table in front of us, not having a good time (see photo to the left). I think she was not at all amused by all the sex jokes and comments about Jesus.



Richard was super excited to meet Eleanor and Alex, but the poor guy was the walking dead by 11:30 pm (when the photos were taken), hopped up on all sorts of pain meds.

No comments: