Thursday, July 13, 2006

Cherry Ride Letter of the Week

This week’s CRLOW is to Ms. Marie Campbell, who went to taste of Chicago on June 30th with her 6-year-old son and decided to just sorta leave him there instead of taking him home with her.
Now, I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure that kind of parenting is going to get you in all sorts of trouble.


Oh Marie:

You is one crazy bitch, aren’t you?
I mean seriously, you are one Tough Mom. I guess you were trying to prove a point with your son. We all know the game: that whole “If you don’t behave I’m going to leave you here” one that parents sometimes play with their kids when they act up. I guess you thought it would be good to take the game to a new level. Not only do you threaten to leave your kid behind, but, lest your child think you’re all talk and no action, you took it a step further by actually putting your money where your mouth is. Damn, girl, you are tough. And bravo – lesson learned: I’m pretty sure your child will definitely think twice before playing that game with you again. I guess you showed him whose boss.

Oh, but then again, you probably won’t need to worry about playing that game with your son next time because they’ll probably never let you near him – or any other child - again.

But what I really wanted to ask you was: How did you think you were going to get away with this? Or maybe: What did you think the outcome was going to be? You told your family that he was staying with friends for the weekend, which would cover your ass for a few days but what were you going to do come Monday? People tend to start asking questions when their nephew/grandson/neighbor suddenly disappears.

Or did you really think shorty was going to find his way home on his own? Its touching that you have so much confidence in your son, but let me let you in on a little secret: He’s 6. He’s barely toilet trained, let alone able to hop on the cross-town bus for home. You really shoulda thought this one out better, if you don’t mind me saying.

No comments: